Cake decorators create, decorate and sell bakery products, including cakes, special occasion cakes, cupcakes, snack cakes, pastries and muffins and other products.
Some Job Responsibilities include:
- Creating all varieties of cakes and cake products, by special order of using standard company styles and patterns.
- Answering phones and taking customer orders, ensuring orders are completed on time and to the customer’s satisfaction.
- Maintaining a positive and friendly attitude towards customers and fellow team members.
- Engaging with customers through smiles and greetings, offering product information, providing selling suggestions and active sampling and always giving a genuine thank you.
- Maintaining bakery department’s image for the highest quality and freshness.
- Controlling freshness by coding all products, rotating them and pulling any out-of-code merchandise daily.
- Wrapping, package and pricing all products accurately and legibly in accordance with established department procedures and guidelines;
- Processing cash register transactions, giving back change, processing checks, credit and debit cards, and refunds.
- Using scale printer machine, ensuring weights and pricing are correct.
- Understanding the importance of and monitoring product pricing, signage, and placement as well as the use of product shelf tags and shelf signage.
- Keeping a clean, neat and orderly check stand/sales counter and work production areas.
- Displaying baked goods following bakery department and/or merchandising guidelines.
- Taking customer orders, ensuring orders are completed on time and to the customer’s satisfaction.
- Performs other duties as needed or assigned by management.
- Must be at least 18-years old and have 1-year of experience as a cake decorator.
Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time;
This description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions; it does not proscribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned;
This job description is subject to change at any time.
Employer provides reasonable accommodations to a qualified employee that does not impose an undue hardship on the employer.
- With both customers and team members, remain helpful, tactful and courteous at all times.
- Work quickly and efficiently, sometimes with little direction, to accomplish assigned duties.
- Consistently and with artistry and flair, help create quality bakery items by decorating special occasion cakes, snack cakes, breads, and pastries.
- Add, subtract, divide, multiply and perform other basic business math calculations.
- Use all necessary decorating tools and equipment including: decorating spatulas, piping/pastry bags, decorating tips, air brush machines.
- Be dexterous enough with hands and fingers so as to be able to use necessary equipment and efficiently decorate products.
- Learn to use register, scales, scanners and debit/credit terminals.
- Read UPC codes, product labels, shelf signage, and posted company policies/procedures.
- Openly and professionally communicate through body language, facial expressions and speech.
- Listen to and understand verbal and non-verbal communication of customers and fellow members.
- Follow all bakery department food safety and sanitation policies and procedures.
- Stand for long periods of time, bend and twist, and frequently lift and/or maneuver merchandise and supplies.
- Exert of lift up to 40 lbs.
- Work in walk-in coolers and freezers and around hot ovens and fryers.
- Work with bakery ingredients including various flours, spices, nuts, flavorings and oils.